Visiting Relaxed Last Updated: 25/05/2020
We would like to thank all of those Visitors who have participated responsibly in our ongoing move toward further relaxation of our necessary Facility Entry management process.
While we will continue to focus on the protection of our vulnerable Residents and dedicated Staff, the sustained low COVID-19 cases in WA have allowed us to relax our past visitation restrictions at all Aegis Facilities.
Visits by Family have been permitted throughout this unprecedented crisis. We welcomed the COVID-19 Residential Care Visitor Access Code, recently agreed between the Government and Providers.
Should you wish to visit a loved one, please contact the Facility to discuss your circumstances in seeking the prior approval needed based on the following Guidelines:
- We will facilitate connection between our Residents and Family/Friends by way of visiting their bedroom, designated area, visiting window, or other technology based solution.
- Where Residents are at end of life, regular visits from a small number of loved ones will be offered with the number of people, length, frequency, and nature of the visits considered compassionately.
- Visitors who have a longstanding practice of providing care and support to a Resident, including essential behaviour management, will be considered. The length, frequency and nature of these visits will reflect what is needed for the Resident. The involvement of Family in these circumstances is appreciated.
- Other Visitors will be welcome to enter under a prior booking arrangement directed at assisting Facilities to manage their visitations and thereby to minimise any virus risk. Visits will generally be for around 30 - 45 mins by two Visitors in the Resident’s room and offered 9.00 to 11.00am and 1.00 to 3.30pm daily, including weekends. Bookings can only be arranged on weekdays to suit our available administration staffing.
Resident Leave From Facility
A resident may leave their Facility to attend essential medical appointments (hospital, doctor, necessary test) on approval and under special conditions. Consideration will be given for special social visits but approval by the Facility Manager will be required.
New Facility Admissions & Respite
The admission of new residents or respite care is not being significantly affected by COVID-19. It is, however, necessary to consider the following as part of that process:
- Our usual Facility Tour process will be reduced to include only those areas considered necessary to explain the services and amenities being offered at our Facility.
- Our website does contain a video tour and pictures of each Aegis Facility for your review.
- The Facility will decide to set time periods for visits based on staff availability.
Staying In Contact
All residents and their family/friends will continue to be assisted and encouraged to stay in contact. This will be facilitated by the following:
- Contact the Facility to enquire about the resident. Extra staff will be available to receive your enquiry and pass on information as appropriate.
- Additional telephones will be available for our staff to provide direct conversation with loved ones.
- Video Chat links can be offered that will enable direct video, audio, or text contact by arrangement. App installation information will be provided on request.
- Visitation will be considered with prior approval as outlined above.
- We will naturally continue to maintain communication with resident primary contacts in the event of any matters arising in relation to their health status or as they request.
- We will continue to review our communication methods.
Increased Lifestyle Services & Resident Surveys
To assist our residents to adjust to the slightly reduced external visitation, we have significantly increased the available Lifestyle activities and services offered. Activities in which social distancing is unable to be managed are being reviewed. All intergenerational activities involving school aged children will not be continuing nor any bus outings at present.
We are conducting ongoing Resident Feedback Surveys to gauge the response of residents to our Lifestyle programs and the outcomes have been overwhelmingly positive with the majority of residents reporting a significantly increased enthusiasm and engagement. These are just a few of the comments received recently:
I am not sad or lonely, the staff are absolutely wonderful.
I still choose what I want to do during the day, and I keep occupied.
I’ve done a lot in the last two weeks that I’ve never done in my life before.
Thankful we are safe.
Staff are great, they will do anything for you.
I don’t feel lonely or bored.
Lots of things to do, staff always ask and offer activities.
I know this is temporary and that we need to stay in for everyone's health.
The staff are wonderful, cannot do enough for you.
Glad I can express how I feel.
The lawn bowls is great and so many wanting to play.
I am happy to be here.
I really enjoyed seeing my daughter with iPad. I could see her pussycat walking in front of the screen.
These Lifestyle enjoyment programs will continue to be expanded and be varied in the future. We will be in communication with our residents and primary contacts when these occur.